Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rollin' Down the River

So I have recently discovered my favorite summer activity in Calgary - rafting on the Elbow River!  Our first rafting experience was like "The Griswolds Rafting Adventure"!  We didn't know where to park, where to launch, and M's raft sank!!  We had two small (8$) boats and were each in our own (with the cooler in mine).  Well much to the entertainment of the people watching us in the park we ended up both in my little digny (not meant for two adults!) with the cooler in the sinking raft.  Despite almost getting hypothermia we kept doing it (and got a bigger and sturdier raft)  It's so much fun and is essentially free now that we have a raft, lifejackets and a cooler :)  As summer winds down today might be one of our last rafting adventures of the season

I've also been test driving various work out dvds (from my collection - some that are collecting dust and from the library)  I like to work out at home because then I can do it when I feel like it.  Some days it's hard to find the motivation but I've just got to get it done (bonus  - I work out in my sports bra and underwear half the time, haha)

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
This video is an excellent deal.  It has 3 levels of a 30 minute full body workout.  It is very challenging and I found the levels to be good variations.  What I don't like about it is Jillian gets very annoying, talks alot and "gives advice" instead of coaching through the exercises (which could totally be my preference)

Biggest Loser Cardio Max
I did not like the video at all (it was free with the 30 Day Shred).  It has past participants from the Biggest Loser who didn't seem to know the routines so I found it hard to concentrate on the Bob, Jillian or Kim with them in the background

Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
I must admit I've never done this video.  It came also free with the 30 Day Shred.  Given my dislike of Jillian I'm in no hurry to give it a try

Dancing with the Stars (Dance Body Tone & Dance off the Pounds)
I really like these videos.  I like to dance (like nobody's watching :P)  I have zero rhythm and limited coordination so I'm sure I look crazy doing them but that's the beauty of being in the privacy of my living room!  They are fun cardio workouts and get easier as you learn the routines.

Dance with Julianne - Cardio Ballroom
Very similar to the DWTS videos.  Lots of fun and good cardio.  There is an option in the menu to take the "private lesson with Julianne" where she breaks down the steps and it's very helpful.

Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight
I picked this up at the library and am glad I didn't buy it.  It was a good workout but I didn't care for Kathy as an instructor and there are so many people working out in the background.

Arms of Steel with Leisa Hart
Another library find.  I did the 4 workouts (which target the arms, chest and back) that total 35 minutes (3 x 10 and 1 x 5)  I really liked this workout.  It was challenging and I can see myself doing it on a regular basis.  I enjoyed Leisa and there are only two other people working out to show the variations.  Based on how much I enjoyed it I've ordered Buns of Steel, Legs of Steel and Abs of Steel from Amazon.  Hopefully they're as good as this one.  

Talk soon
J

No comments:

Post a Comment